Friday, September 16, 2011

Making a Terrarium

One of the biggest reasons I dislike winter is because of the lack of lively green. I get so much energy from being outside with the sunshine and plants. While I can't change the whole winter lack-of-sun situation, I can brighten up our house with some green.






I've wanted to try making a terrarium for a while now, and I finally found a good glass container and some cute little plants on clearance at Lowes. Hurry quick while they still have some plants!


I chose two varieties: the one on the right is a Creeping Fig Ficus, and the one on the left is Irish Moss. I was told that slow-growing mosses, ferns, and some other plants are the best for terrariums. I think the Ficus might grow tall to fast, and I'll just have to trim it. (Little E loved running her hand over the fuzzy moss!)I found this egg-shaped glass container at the thrift store for a dollar. A container with a lid works best so the moisture can be sealed in. First, layer the bottom with rocks so the water will have a place to drain. Then, add a layer of potting soil. Add the plants and enjoy your little beauty! Mine lives on the windowsill because these plants love sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment